COVID 19 Updates
St. Luke’s Diaper Bank is closely monitoring the public health crisis and taking precautions to keep babies and caregivers, community partners, volunteers, and staff safe. We are committed to continuing diaper distribution throughout the crisis; to aid existing families, and to aid families who will be newly impacted by diaper need in the upcoming weeks and months.
We are closely following local, state, and federal guidelines, as well as seeking guidance from the National Diaper Bank Network as we determine how to safely continue distributing diapers.
We distribute diapers every Tuesday morning, 9 am to 12 pm, rotating between St. Luke’s Episcopal Church and the Douglass Community Association (see below for distribution dates and locations). Procedures for distribution include:
- Please stay in your car. A volunteer will ask what diaper size you need and will collect other information from you (optional).
- Open your trunk or back window and we will put diapers and wipes directly in your car.
- Walk-up caregivers will have their own line.
- Please wear a mask while speaking with volunteers (even while remaining in your car) and maintain physical distance.
As this situation evolves and guidance changes, we will continue to assess our distribution model and make all needed changes.
At this time, we are using the following risk-reduction strategies:
- All diapers donated by the general community are quarantined for two weeks.
- All individuals who are handling diapers (counting, packing, labeling, moving, distributing diapers) are wearing gloves.
- Surfaces that come in contact with open diapers are being regularly sanitized.
- Any staff or volunteers who are exhibiting respiratory symptoms will not come into contact with any diapers or repackaging supplies.
- Community distribution is now happening outdoors, with drive-up service available. Walk-up community members are asked to stand 6 feet apart while awaiting diapers.
- Demographic information is being collected by a volunteer verbally, so there are no common touch-points for families accessing diapers.
We need the help of caregivers and community members to help keep everyone safe and healthy:
- If you or a member of your household are sick with respiratory symptoms (cough, sore throat, fever, congestion, etc), please do not come to diaper distribution. You can absolutely send someone else in your place.
- When picking up diapers, please maintain three to six feet of physical distance between yourself and other caregivers and staff.
Throughout the coming weeks, please refer to our Facebook account for the most up-to-date information on our distribution dates, times, and locations. We will work to ensure this information is widely shared. All upcoming distributions will also be posted below.
If you are in a position to support the ongoing work of SLDB – please do. We are already experiencing a higher volume of diaper need than in typical months and we need the support of our community. Together, we can ensure that every young child in Kalamazoo has the diapers they need to be healthy and well.
Upcoming 2021 Distributions
Tuesday, Jan. 19 @ Douglass Community Association, 1000 W. Paterson St., Kalamazoo | 9am-12pm
Tuesday, Jan. 26 @ St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 247 W. Lovell St., Kalamazoo | 9am-12pm
Tuesday, Feb. 2 @ Douglass Community Association, 1000 W. Paterson St., Kalamazoo | 9am-12pm
Tuesday, Feb. 8 @ St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 247 W. Lovell St., Kalamazoo | 9am-12pm